Support and care for our international students

Who Needs a Guardian?

It is a requirement of the school that all international students, attending West Buckland for one term or longer, whose families live outside the UK, have an appointed guardian. This is regardless of the student’s age.

Guardians are encouraged to:

Play an active part in supporting a pupil’s life in school and they are welcome to events such as concerts, sports fixtures, or Parents’ Consultation evenings to discuss pupils’ academic progress.

To maintain regular contact with the boarding houseparents to keep them informed of practical arrangements affecting the child.

To provide accurate information to houseparents about a boarder’s accommodation and travel arrangements at the beginning and end of school holidays and at half terms.

To be responsible for giving permission for routine and emergency medical procedures, or for trips and activities which may incur a cost.



Who Can Be a Guardian?

Guardians can be a family friend or relative living permanently in the UK, preferably reasonably close to the school. The school can provide a list of the guardianship companies or individuals that are used by our current students. However, the appointment of a guardian must be entirely the parents’ decision.

For more information on guardianship, please contact our admissions office.

Contact Admissions